Friday, September 09, 2005

Wish me luck

I have everything around the replacement waterpump tightened up by eight-thirty and the kids go off to school. But there's still that lost screwdriver bit, probably wedged into a brake or steering mechanism ready to spell my premature demise on that fast right-hander by the bus stop.

A couple of years ago I bought one of those long, bendy rods with a strong magnet at each end. Driven by blind optimism I dipped it into the dark recesses of an engine mounting bracket. There was an immmediate click, so I pulled my rod out quickly to examine my catch - a PZ2 screwdriver bit. Hurrah!

I started the engine and was amazed how quiet it sounded. I'd been blaming that rattle on the power steering pump but clearly it had a lot more to do with the water pump. Before it got too hot I topped up the coolant again.

At first it ran quite hot. Turning on the heater and fans it cooled down again and when I turned them off it stabilized. The temperature gauge has always sat bang in the middle of the word 'normal'. That's where it is now as I set off for Beaulieu Autojumble - 130 miles and it's another hot day. Wish me luck.
If you're going to Beaulieu this weekend, please drop by the Practical Classics stand and say hello. Don't mention the paintwork, please.