Monday, June 21, 2004

Soul food


I've always had a thing about the longest day, and try to do something special.

Put two hours of Emap-related work in before leaving Barton-le-Street at 11am. Warm and sunny. I recently bought the boxed set of Steely Dan's best-known tunes and I've saved that for today too.

First stop, Huttons Ambo and the 'swing bridge' my dad took me to when I was small. The footbridge over the River Derwent is little more than steel cable and railway sleepers and swings dramatically when you cross.

Next, Kirkham Priory. My mum was born in one of the railway cottages and I used to swim in the river and totter across the fast-flowing weir as a kid. Really beautiful.

Then I headed up through Westow and Leavening and on to Thixendale. I was surprised how many memories were associated with old-girlfriends. It's a mark of my age that I'm only now appreciating the drive through this scenery for the uplifting experience that it truly is. Back in my teens I was obviously too randy to notice. Was that all I used to do?

No. I used to ride motorcycles around Burdale Quarry. After hiking to the mouth of the old abandoned railway tunnel, I climbed up into the quarry itself. It's 25 years since I used to ride a 250cc Ossa around that quarry, but I remembered every climb, jump, turn and dip as if it was yesterday.

My route of reminiscence took me to Fridaythorpe, Millington, Huggate, North Dalton and Middleton-on-the-Wolds. Shocking memories of a mis-spent youth bring a smile at every turn. This kind of trip is really good for the soul.