Sunday, June 06, 2004

Jaguar enthusiasts

Washed the Jaguar with the new range from Meguiar's, the NXT Generation wash, tyre cleaner and polymer polish. It's very, very good. The car hasn't looked this shiny for months.

Fabulous day out in the car at the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club's 20th birthday bash at Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire. Wonderful venue, wonderful day.

Started out at the York and District Region tent and chatted about their Castle Howard event in July. That'll give me a good excuse to go and see my mum. The York branch is quite new and they are keen to grow their membership. If you live in the York area and love Jaguars, John Darkin would like to hear from you: johndarkin@hotmail.com

I found an interior light lens at the first autojumble stall I stopped at – £1. I found a set of switches at the next one for a tenner and then had to stop to join Sir Stirling Moss, his lovely wife Suzi and my friends at Footman James for lunch.

Went back to the autojumble later to look at a lovely old Jaguar dealership sign. It had been sold and I was told the stallholder had let it go for £125. I thought it would have been more expensive than that, so regretted not asking earlier. I'm still not very good at this autojumble business!

Still, happy with my light lens and a nice set of photos for the magazine, I wandered back to the car and chatted to John, a reader from Ireland who knew my name, all about my car and said nice things about the magazines. Really nice guy.

Drove home in the warm sunshine listening to Steely Dan's Greatest Hits and then the top 40 on Radio One.