Saturday, July 17, 2004

North again

Got up early to prepare the car for the trip north. Wash, towel dry, sprayed tyres and cleaned interior using Meguiar's car care products.

Replaced the speedo with a similar reconditioned item I'd picked up at a Jaguar Spares Day a couple of years ago for just £15.

I also rigged up my 240V inverter to run from the cigar lighter. I bought the inverter online for about £35 and it's perfect for powering the mains adaptor for my laptop computer. This allows the kids to watch a DVD (Stitch! - The Movie) while Laura and I listen to Jonathan Ross.

New speedo and odometer work perfectly. Heading north on the A1 we hit queues at the roadworks near Newark but the temperature gauge held steady, despite the fact that the viscous coupling on the fan still hasn't been replaced.